Reading and Recipes

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Recipe

I've realised that I keep talking about Chai spices in things, without giving much indication as to what they are.

Basically you would expect to see:

Cinnamon
Cloves
Peppercorns (I use black, but different people do different things)
Cardamom
Ginger

I also use fennel seeds

All ground together in a coffee mill.


In terms of quantity, again everyones preferences are different. But I'm going to share my basic recipe....

4 pieces of cinnamon, each about 3 inches long
8 cloves
4 black peppercorns
1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
8-10 cardamon pods - take out and use just the seeds
1 scant tsp ground ginger

You can grind just as the above, or you can roast the cinnamon (leaved) cloves, peppercorns, fennel and cardamom in a dry pan for c. 30sec (just until you can smell them :-) and then cool and grind them.

I find this makes about 1/2 a jam jar, and keeps well in a cool place for up to a month (it might last longer, but in this house that is gone by then).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home